- This event has passed.
Loosening Up Landscapes
November 18, 2023 @ 10:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Loosening Up Landscapes
Title: Loosening Up Landscapes
Type of Course: 1 Day Workshop
Dates: November 18, 2023
Running Time: 10:30am – 4:30pm
Audience: Adult, All Levels
Description: The number one question students ask Instructor Marla Blackwell to help them with is “How do I loosen up my painting style?” Let Marla draw upon her years of professional experience to show you how to do that in a painterly artistic way!
What Students will Learn:
• Approach your painting with a design and composition figured out in your sketch book
• Learn how value (everything between light and dark) works in your painting and how it is the most important element in your painting
• Get the larger shapes right and the smaller ones will take shape
• Use value, edge, line, shape, contrast and finally colour to pull off your creation
• Learn how to paint with passion and emotion and enjoy the process!
Student Supplies :
• Notebook and pen
• Water bottle and lunch
• Paint in either acrylic or oil. The minimum colours for either medium is: white, cadmium yellow light, cadmium yellow dark, cadmium red, alizarin crimson, ultramarine blue, manganese blue, transparent red iron oxide. Please use the best quality you can afford. No cheap kits please!
• Brushes – a selection of hogs hair bristle and synthetic in a variety of sizes. Make sure you have a 1 inch flat or bigger!! This is how we get the large loose shapes down.
• Canvas between 9 x12 and 16 x 20. Nothing too big or too small. Bring more than one if you are a quick painter. I often paint in the square shape.
• Sketch book and pencils
• Large Palette or palette paper —nothing smaller than 8 x11 please
• Thinner and medium for oils
• Plastic bag to take paper towels home for disposal
• Paper towel (blue shop towel works best)
• Large Palette or palette paper —nothing smaller than 8 x 11 please
• landscape photos to choose from; they must have a contrast between light and dark. We can edit them as well. I just keep them on my iPad.
• Please contact me directly if you have questions. Mjsart@gmail.com
Instructor Bio :
Marla Blackwell, a talented artist hailing from Southern Alberta, Canada, found her artistic muse in the breathtaking landscapes of the foothills and tree-filled regions around Calgary. Born and raised amidst the prairie and grain fields, Marla’s deep connection to nature is evident in her vibrant paintings. Marla Blackwell’s artistic journey is not only about capturing the beauty of the landscapes that surround her, but also about weaving together a story of connection and shared experiences. With each brushstroke, she seeks to ignite a sense of wonder and a renewed appreciation for the world we inhabit.